Sunday, September 22, 2013

A blast from the past

A big hello to all my readers!
Today, before I start working on my car, laying in bed just after I woke up, I started feeling nostalgic. My thoughts flew to my first love, my original Volvo, the mother of all my passion for the brand...
So i decided it was high time to write a post to remember where I came from, and to reflect to where I'm going.

Well, as I mentioned briefly in the About section of my blog, my first Volvo was a '86, 740 GLE Turbodiesel.
She was a beast in a box or a boxed tank if you will. I believe all Volvo lovers at one time fell in love with the straight 90 degrees lines of an early Volvo model.
I still remember the day when my father bought it (it was originally his) used from a guy from Italy. When we first took her for a test drive, sitting in the soft leathery back seats, as he accelerated, my heart almost jumped out of my chest. Back then, I was about 14 maybe 15 years old. And the car, the leather smelled so good...
I still remember that day, when I sneaked in the garage only to sit in the front seat, to feel the steering wheel, the gear shifter, the dash and to turn on and off the engine, just to hear it roar.
The years have passed, I turned 18, I didn't get the Volvo, I got instead,  my mother's domestic car (which was rubbish), but even that car has it's merits for teaching me how to drive properly...

In 2004 I convinced my father to buy himself a Volvo S60 and to give me the love-brick. So he did, and he bought an S60 and my first love was now mine. The drive was excellent, nothing like the car I had before, I could attack the curves in speed, I could brake harder... it was a dream. 
In 2005, I had the opportunity to buy the Volvo S60 I own today, needless to say, I bought her. But the story of the 740 doesn't stop there. For almost 3 years, The S60 mostly sat in the garage, the 740 being the car I used regularly.
Then, one day, a neighbor came to me and asked me If I would consider selling it. Having the S60 I said yes. He wanted the car for his wife. We went for a test drive and that was that, the pact was sealed.... I wish I kept it for my wife...

Since that dreadful day, I haven't seen her again... 
 ...and to this day I miss her!
  Hope you liked the trip down the memory lane, I hope you have all have many safe trips with your Volvos!





No comments:

Post a Comment